In KS1 our Reading Lessons follow the FFT Shared Reading scheme, providing a smooth transition between FFT Phonics learning and our KS2 Reading.
In KS2 our Reading lessons are underpinned by collaborative talk. Children work in partners discussing a range of prompts about a key text. Our Reading lessons consist of 5 key elements:
- Word Time - unpicking key vocabulary that will be experienced this session. These can be unfamiliar words and phrases or tricky words.
- Reading Time - listening to the adult / choral reading/ paired reading/ individual reading
- Discussion Time - Children will discuss a question prompt about the text
- Journal Time - Children collaborate in a journal to answer a question about the text
- Comprehension Time- At least once a week, children will complete individual comprehension questions, usually linked to the whole class text being read.