Art at Buglawton Primary School
As with all subjects, we ensure a progression in the full range of skills needed by the children and promoting breadth and balance in their work is very important to us.
Children at Buglawton love art, our approach enthuses the children and leads to some really exciting art, craft and design opportunities within the overall topic-based approach. Art, craft and design provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. Enabling children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern- using different materials and processes, the art, craft and design experiences at Buglawton have a positive impact on other areas of the curriculum.
ELG: Safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function
ELG: Share their creations, explaining the process they have used.
Key stage 1
Pupils should be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key stage 2
Pupils should be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils should be taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay
- about great artists, architects and designers in history
What it’s like to be an Artist at Buglawton...
The children in Pre-School have been looking at their topic ‘I wonder what’s special’. They have been exploring what is special about them and created their own family portraits. They have also explored collaging and colour mixing.
The children in Reception have been exploring their topic of “Let’s Celebrate”, they have created their own Rangoli patterns and some beautiful poppies for Remembrance Day.
Year 1 have been studying Drawing, they studied themselves in a mirror and then created their very own self-portraits.
Year 2 have been exploring Textiles through their topic of ‘We could be heroes!’. They have created their very own Superhero badges.
Year 3 have been exploring Drawing through their topic of the Stone Age. They have created their very own cave drawings!
The children in Year 4 have been learning all about Printing. Through their topic of the Romans, they have created a Mosaic.
The children in Year 5 have been exploring Drawing. They have learnt about perspective and how to create light and dark shades in their drawings.
Year 6 have created some beautiful artwork linked to their topic ‘Lest We Forget’.