The EYFS framework is structured very differently to the national curriculum as it is organised across seven areas of learning rather than subject areas. Geography in the Early Years is mainly taught through ‘Understanding the World’. The EYFS Framework states:
Understanding the world involves guiding children to make sense of their physical world and their community. The frequency and range of children’s personal experiences increases their knowledge and sense of the world around them – from visiting parks, libraries and museums to meeting important members of society such as police officers, nurses and firefighters. In addition, listening to a broad selection of stories, non-fiction, rhymes and poems will foster their understanding of our culturally, socially, technologically and ecologically diverse world. As well as building important knowledge, this extends their familiarity with words that support understanding across domains. Enriching and widening children’s vocabulary will support later reading comprehension.
In planning and guiding what children learn, we reflect on the different rates at which children are developing and adjust our practice appropriately. Geographical Enquiry links to the Characteristics of Effective Teaching and Learning by:
- Identifying similarities and differences.
- Knowing that information can be retrieved from books, the internet and people.
- Beginning to ask and answer ‘how’ and ‘why’ questions in response to stories or events.
The table below outlines the most relevant statements taken from the Early Learning Goals in the EYFS statutory framework and the Development Matters age ranges for Three and Four-Year-Olds and Reception to match our programme of study for Geography:
By the end of the EYFS, our children will be able to:
Vocabulary we use:
- Congleton, Cheshire, United Kingdom, Great Britain, World, country, town, city, London, capital, near, far, Africa, Australia, North Pole, South Pole
- Community, jobs, doctor, teacher, shop, park, binmen, carers, road, map
- Harvest, seasons, Autumn, Winter, Spring, Summer, weather
- Farm, beach, countryside, forest